6.28.2011

How I Photograph Newborn Babies

It has been awhile since I had a newborn session....what a treat!  Baby "B" was so fun to hold and cuddle!  He weighed almost the exact same as my three children when they were born - bringing me right back. What great memories!  Anyway - as I do with almost all of my sessions - I come without props and use what we find in the house.  This method really works for me - it is so fun to find different items to work with and I think it keeps each photo session fresh and unique to the client.  Before the session I ask that baby be warm, full, and have a very loose fitting diaper - so as not to leave crease lines on his/her legs. Here's how we started the session.

Baby B chilling on one of Grandma's dining room chairs.

We started this photo session looking around the house for furniture and props we could use - this chair had a rose seat cushion (not exactly appropriate for a boy) but I knew it would make a great black and white image.

We found a cool wood bowl  that was just a bit too small  -but we added a textured blue blanket that helped.

Before we knew it - Baby B was wide awake  - not wanting to miss a minute of his session. We continued on - using a white toy chest and big brother's blanket - that we were asked to promptly give back for naptime  [Grin].

I loved the fun pattern to this carpet - a great back drop for some "birthday suit" images!

Of course you always need to have a few adorable feet images.  I like to make sure that Mom or Dad's wedding bands are visable in these images.

Baby B - was wide awake at this point and pretty interested in my camera.

I had mom face the window as we captured a few fun images of the two of them - keeping the background simple. Isn't she gorgeous!  Who doesn't love freckles and green eyes?!!




I so love have Baby "B" molds to mom's body in this image.


I try to see images from different angles....I love this one.


Finally - it seems we wore Baby "B" right out.  We were able to squeeze him into the wooden bowl  - that I thought looked great against their hard wood floors.
 
Well - it looks like my work here is done.  What a cutie!

2 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

I love your blog. Thanks again for taking the pictures. It was a fun experience seeing how you work. I love your relaxed style, it actually makes picture taking fun!

meg said...

those are great! jess really is beautiful, isn't she?